Online Dating Photography
Online Dating Photography in Los Angeles
To Help You Meet Your Soulmate!
A fabulous online dating portrait will Boost your chances
Of meeting your perfect match Online.
(Click on image to enlarge and scroll with the right arrow.)
The whole idea is to show off the "Natural" you...
A professional "gently" retouched online dating portrait will show off your BEST SELF!
Images that show who you are with "subtle" enhancements
with "just enough" retouching to remove distractions will boost your chances of getting noticed.
Craving that "Head Over Heels" feeling?
Meet your match online with A
Natural, eye-Catching Professional Online Dating Profile Photo
Hollywood's cliche depiction of a man and woman falling in love on the silver screen has perhaps jaded the perception of romance for the modern day single. Harper's Bazaar brought together a collection of "The 14 Best Movie Meet-Cutes." (Click here to see movie clips.) This collection of memorable movie moments feature famous couples performing their ritual mating dance while we all wait with baited-breath as the two awkward stars deny their mutual attraction for each other. We all know they will ultimately fall in love and we leave with the thought, "only in Hollywood." It offers us a two-hour respite; a mental reprieve from our own reality.
We all could use a little help on our journey to find our true soulmate. In 2017 online dating became a $3 billion dollar industry. As of January 2018, 49 million people have tried online dating, and Statistic Brain's research shows 20% of current committed relationships started online and 17% of couples who married within the last year met on a dating website. In our social media-driven world, cutting through the volume of online dating sites, the "swipe left...swipe right" mobile apps, and the myriad of profile photos bombarding the modern-day single, we all may welcome a little dating assistance.
Karen Vaisman Photography Offers Online Daters Help
- Dating Profile Photos that Shine and will help you stand out -
At times we all feel overwhelmed and feel like giving up looking for that special someone. Are you tired of the whole technology-driven internet-dating rat race? Do you feel intimidated by the journey? Perhaps you are not as youthful as you once were and don't know how to begin looking for a relationship again? (Ourtime.com may be a good place to start!)
My goal as a photographer and an experienced retouch artist is to help you with your online dating profile photo to give you a little assistance in the overwhelming, online dating world. I want to help you look like the best possible "YOU". Retouching has been given a bad name by those who have overused the features and don't understand the visual nuances of "subtle" touch-ups. Untrained retouchers or amateur photographers often pull out the stops and create an online dating portrait akin to a phony, plastic-looking doll giving the industry a bad name. Just as it is not a good idea to post a ten-year old photo of yourself, it is also not a good idea to post an "overly-retouched" image of yourself. When you arrive at that first date, you want to look like who you are. There is a balance between that speed it takes to impress someone online with an amazing photo, and an over-done photo that doesn't really represent YOU. Research shows that you have 1/10th of a second to make that brilliant first impression.
You may ask, "If I only have a split-second to get noticed, and an 'overly-photoshopped' photo will get me rejected, how do I resolve this dilemma?"
Hiring a professional photographer / retouch artist,
with over 20 years of experience
who understands the nuances
of a natural, yet, professional Dating photo.
Artistic Skill will balance that fine Line of
Capturing great expression, showcasing your Personality Beautifully
without over-Retouching your image.
"I would love to work with you to show you how Your Professional, "Gently Retouched" Online Dating Photo can actually change the course of your life by boosting your chances of getting noticed in an overcrowded online dating marketplace." - Karen Vaisman
"A picture is worth a thousand words."
Gentle enhancements make a difference.
Secrets on How to Connect
the Dos and Don'ts for Online Dating Photos
Researching what to do and not to do in online dating photos can be daunting. Online dating is similar to an audition to connect with someone you don't know. The most important thing is you need to be YOU. Feeling comfortable and approachable in your online dating profile photo leaves a great impression that will carry through on your first date. I have compiled information gathered online from articles and research. Feel free to click on the links to read further. What I can conclude from all my years as a photographer is that eye contact in a well-lit and naturally-posed photo matters. Finally, putting on the finishing touches in Photoshop, expertly done in a subtle way, raises your image to the next level. Professional enhancements in Photoshop that do not change your "look" but still keep your image "natural" will increase your chances of getting noticed. Take a look at the photo below of the blonde woman with a ponytail. Look in her eyes...a crescent-shaped reflector added a semi-circular catch-light that added a bit of "sparkle" to her eyes, making them playful, flirty and twinkle with mystery. This is the type of tiny detail a professional studio photographer knows, which is not obvious to most viewers. It helps add that extra "magic" to the photo.
Women's Poses for Online Dating
Suggested "Dos and Don'ts"
Flirty smiles = great results.
If you love sports – pose in your favorite sports team jersey.
Don’t use group shots (it adds to the confusion) and your friend might be more attractive than you!
Don’t pose with a pet, if you are a woman.
Wearing red is recommended, not blue, green, yellow, white, or black.
Men's Poses for Online Dating
Suggested "Dos and Don'ts"
Pose showing off your interests (most popular – surfing, yoga, skiing, the ocean).
Pose outdoors (especially for gay men).
Pose – looking away from the camera without a smile (without looking creepy!)
Wear dark blue or black (particularly a dress shirt).
Feeling Hesitant? Why Should You Get a
Professional Online Dating Profile Photo?
- Isn't a professional photo sending the wrong message? No! Would you go into a job interview without combing your hair or wearing wrinkled clothing? Presenting your BEST self, in the best light will get you noticed! If you post a blurry, dark, low-quality cell phone image, how do you expect to be noticed? Make the decision to change your life and meet with me. You will see it will be fun! I can help you feel confident and comfortable so you can relax and just smile. People will feel like they almost "know" you, by looking clearly into your eyes. I take my photos, with my camera attached to an iPad. This allows you to see the photo immediately after it is taken. How amazing is that; to have immediate feedback on how you look? We can then change the pose or the expression and move on, building your confidence as we go. You can post this great shot after I have gently retouched it to show off your best features without changing your personality. Your eyes will sparkle, your smile will be genuine and suddenly the spotlight will be on you!
- I can take my own photo, it will look just as good. - Well, most people do just that (the mirror "duck face", the wide-angle unflattering selfie, the "in the mirror" shot) and that is why they get lost in the piles of online dating profiles without getting noticed. I suspect you have already tried that...and that is why you are tired of staying single, and you have read the website to this point already! I am not trying to convince anyone not to take that route. As a matter of fact, I think it will help your profile to post a mix of both professional and candids to show a full selection of who you really are. I am confident my unique blend of artistic skills, both photographically and as a retouch artist, will keep you looking true to your personality and the best you can be! The secret to a great photo is what happens behind the camera, the conversation, the fun, the interaction that results in those amazing expressions. This type of natural rapport is kind of hard to do by yourself or with an amateur photographer who does not know how to react quickly to catch the moment in the right light. Working with me will provide you a great opportunity to create an amazing profile photo to help you meet Mr. or Ms. Right! Don't take my word for it Read my 100+ 5-Star Reviews on Yelp and Google.
- I don't want a "Glamour Shot". - I wouldn't recommend that either. Our goal will be to discuss who you are and who you want to meet. You don't want to put on a show and then end up with the wrong type of match. I've read that many women want to get responses so they may show a bit too much cleavage. They get responses - (too many in fact!) but are those the type of men you want really meet? We want to target your "look" to match the person you ultimately want to end up with. That takes discussion and understanding. We will then move forward with a portrait design session to talk about clothing, props, colors, hair, nails, makeup, location (indoor, outdoor, studio) to make a plan for what suits you best! I do have makeup artists and hair stylists available if that is what you want, I can also guide you on makeup and hair if you would like to do it yourself.
- I look terrible in front of the camera. I'm not photogenic. I get very uncomfortable getting photographed. - Whew! I'm glad you got that out of the way! Over the last two decades, if I had a nickel for every time I heard that! I know the "fear" can be very real. Thus the "need" for a professional who makes you feel at ease! That is 90% of my job because if I can't get you to relax and feel happy in front of the lens then I shouldn't be doing what I do. I'm passionate about making YOU look the best you can look! Please read my reviews to see what hundreds of my clients have shared. After that first picture shows up on the iPad as I take your photos, you will immediately relax and know the rest of the images will be as good, if not better! We will have a great time together and you will leave with amazing online dating photos, the first step in meeting that very special person!
- I'm so busy, I don't have time for this self-indulgence. - Well, no one knows better than you what suits you best, but I reiterate, you are reading this website for a reason! Not to worry, our session is 30 minutes to shoot, 30 minutes to select. In an hour you can put it all behind you...but trust me, it will be a fun experience and a great memory AND the results will pay off, giving you a much better chance to rise above the rest to meet your special someone!
- Selecting and judging your own online dating profile photos...not a good idea. - Research proves YOU are the worst person to pick your own photo. The new study involved more than 600 people, by researchers at UNSW, University of Western Australia and the University of Sydney, is published in the open access journal Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications. Dr. David White states,
“We make inferences about an individual’s character and personality within a split second of seeing a photograph of their face. These first impressions can influence important decisions such as whether someone wants to befriend you, date you or employ you...
The new study involved more than 600 people and a range of experiments. In one trial, participants were asked to indicate the likelihood that images of their own face, and images of a stranger’s face, would be used as profile pictures on social networking sites such as Facebook, dating sites such as Match.com, and a professional site such as LinkedIn.
Other people recruited via the internet then assessed these photos for social traits such as attractiveness, trustworthiness, dominance, competence and confidence.
The study showed that people were able to select images of themselves that accentuated the desired characteristic for a site, such as attractiveness for a dating site and professionalism for a work site.
However, the self-selected images were rated by the internet recruits as giving less favourable first impressions than the images chosen by strangers.
“One explanation could be that we perceive ourselves more positively than others do, in general. This may interfere with our ability to discriminate when trying to select the specific photo that gives the most positive impression,” says Dr White.
Fortunately, included in my session, I spend 30 minutes helping you select your best photo(s). As a subjective outsider you have the benefit of gaining my professional opinion and guidance!
Online Dating Portrait Design Session
In order to create an amazing online dating portrait, I am happy to schedule an in-person, or telephone portrait design session. We will put our heads together and discuss:
- Discuss and recommend dating sites that suit you, your age, interests, etc...
- Your personal style (wardrobe, hair, makeup, nails - formal, casual, what mood do you want to portray?)
- The type of perfect soulmate you want to attract (age, interests etc..)
- Your interests - you might want to include a prop (musical instrument, sports?)
- Do you have any candid photos on your online profile that
you want to use to compliment your professional portrait that we will review them together.
- The color scheme of dating photo.
- Location of the portrait (studio or outdoor).
- If outdoor, a particular location (beach, sports, etc...?)
- If in studio, what type of background compliments your look?
- Do you want a full body, 3/4 body or headshot.
- How many images or "looks" do you want (dressed up, dressed casual, serious, silly, fun, drop-dead gorgeous, relaxed?)
- Any other concerns?
- Length of session based on the number of "looks" and locations.
- Have more questions? Give me a call! (818) 991-7787
- Click here to find out more session details.
Happy to help!
I'm passionate about taking portraits. I'd love to boost your chances of finding your special someone through the use of my professional photography and retouching skills.
I have a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography. I'm known throughout the Ventura County and Los Angeles area as Conejo Valley's Premier Portrait and Headshot studio. Please visit my before and after gallery to see samples of my retouching work. All the images in the gallery above have been professionally retouched.
Karen Vaisman Photography
Will Make you look the BEST you have ever looked
in an online dating photo!
I have perfected my skills as Conejo Valley's Professional Portrait & Headshot Photographer for over two decades. I have worked with many singles who need online dating photos. It brings me so much joy to know I'm helping people. I am confident you will love the results of our portrait session!